Cooking With a Cast Iron Skillet

Maybe it is because I am a guy or maybe it is because I barely spend time in the kitchen, but I just recently learned there is one item that my kitchen has been missing. A friend of mine just graduated from culinary school and she came over to show off her new found skills by preparing a nice dinner. Well, it didn't take her but a few minutes to realize I did not have a cast iron skillet. When she first mentioned it, I thought she was kidding. When I pictured I cast iron skillet the first thing to came to mind was some old Western movie. What did I need a cast iron skillet for? I have an expensive, ultra modern, Teflon coated set of pots and pans. Well, I got a lot of education in the benefits of cooking with a cast iron skillet that day. I won't bore anyone with all the details but I will sum it up.

Basically there are three things that make a cast iron skillet superior to your regular Teflon coated pan. The first is a natural non-stick surface. The more you use the skillet, the more non-stick it becomes. I've noticed that is exactly the opposite of the pans I have been cooking with. The second thing is that cast iron can get super hot. So if you have something that you want to sear or fry the cast iron skillet is the best choice. Third, a little bit of the iron leeches out into the food, which can be beneficial for people that don't have enough iron in their diet.

I've been cooking with my new cast iron skillet for a couple of weeks now and I think it is great. Eggs don't stick to it. It is perfect for cooking stews and even cornbread which I developed a liking for after a few years of living in the south. It may seem like something straight out of the 1800s, but if your kitchen does not have a cast iron skillet you are missing out.

If you want more information on cast iron skillets or want to purchase one you can visit http://cast-iron-skillets.com